The Sunscreen Song – My 10 Year Tribute (Everybody’s Free)

I’ve been sidetracked on my other projects because I really wanted to put this video out there before the year end.  I’m really happy to have the freedom to work on a creative project with no real purpose other than to put some good energy out into the universe.   It’s a video I’ve compiled from the video I’ve taken in my adventures and activities over the past few years (too bad I only started doing video a year ago!).

I’m not trying to tell everyone to do everything possible, but rather inspire people to live more freely.  If it inspires you, and you like it, please share.  I would like a video with a good message to spread out there rather than the negative conflict-driven material that often consumes us.  The song is “Everybody’s Free (Wear Sunscreen)” voiced by Baz Luhrmann.  It’s been 10 years since it came out and this is my 10-year tribute.  Again, feel free to share with as many people as possible.

All the best,

Ki’une

Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen)  lyrics:

by Baz Luhrmann (written by Mary Schmich)

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they’ve faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you’ll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don’t worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You’ll miss them when they’re gone.

Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll have children, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else’s.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don’t be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don’t follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they’ll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They’re your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you’ll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don’t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you’ll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don’t mess too much with your hair or by the time you’re 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Related posts:

Comments

1. says

I LOVED IT!!! Jesse, keep it up, miss you and happy birthday! I just found the video on your fb page. Where are you anyway? I really enjoy your video. VEry inspiring!

• ki'une says

I’m kind of vagabonding right now. But with the great feedback on the video, I’ve got clips for many more to come!

2. says

Dude-

I saw your video on Tim Ferriss’ last blog post. It moved me to tears. Congratulations on putting together an absolutely beautiful piece of work, this sums up the value of life in its entirety.
    Thank you, thank you.

-Adam Crain

• ki'une says

Adam,

Wow. Some of my friends told me they choked up, but to move someone I don’t know inspires me to keep going and put more value out there for people. Thanks for the meaningful comment.

3. says

Beautifully done. I also got choked up… saw this on Tim Ferriss’ blog while perusing the comments on his post of 4HWW videos. I love this song, love the essay it comes from, and it really was inspirational to see you living your dream. I’ll be subscribing to your RSS feed… really like the blog and I’ll be checking it regularly. Thanks for the shot in the arm. :)

• ki'une says

@Everyone Thanks for the kind comments! I hope reading this blog or watching my video inspires you to take action. Just make sure a few months from now you’re on track and not still sitting, wishing, waiting.

4. says

Hi Ki’une,
    Thank you so much for this video. It is so inspiring, so uplifting and it really struck a cord with me.

When the lady started to sing, I almost lost it…

Keep on keepin’ on, Ki’une!

5. Javier says

Ki’une,
    Thanks for the video.
    Before I get ready to start my work day, I watch your video to keep me focus, and inspired. Some people need coffee to start their day, your video had been my coffee for the last few days.
    Muchas Gracias!

Javier

6. Javier says

Ki’une,

Almost correct, except the “… mejor de cafe!” should be “… mejor con café!” Anyway, you Spanish is way much better that my English!

7. Kikka says

Thank you, Thank you Thank you, A true inspiration. Absolutely beautiful video.
    It really got to my soft part. Thank you.

I also checked your other posts with kids and the raft and that made me cry.

8. says

Ki’une,
    What a beautiful video, very nice work. I had never even heard that song until watching your video. I first saw it Friday when checking out Tim Ferriss’ video entrees and have since passed it on to many friends and family. Great dancing too! Hope to see another video from you some time in the future.

Keep it up.

Jeremy

9. Carser says

Your video is amazing. I love it.
    I hope that I can meet you in the next years.. At the moment I am finishing my studies and founding a business..
    From June on, I will stay in South Africa for some months.. Then I will start for a journey around the world..

Life is great…

10. Inese says

More then amazing video :), Thanx a lot! U assured me that Im on the right track :) Also shared with my friends by posting it and first comments say “Im mooved” thats cool..Good luck and keep going ;)!

11. says

Amazing video. Makes me so happy watching it–the dancing, places around the world, way to treat people, inspirations, etc. Thanks for putting this together and sharing. I’ll pass it on and re-post it on my blog!

12. says

Ki’une,

Mark that as 2 people that were moved to tears. Not joking while I was watching your videos tears welled up in my eyes because it reminded me of my around the world trip I took in 2008 and all of the wonderful moments came rushing back. You are an inspiration to continue this mobile lifestyle. Thank you for sharing your talents and inspiring me! I’ve just posted the video on my facebook and to my blog because EVERYONE needs to watch this.

• ki'une says

Thanks for the touching comments, Cindy! Also, thanks for sharing. I really want lots of people to watch and be inspired, but I’m having trouble getting the word out there!

13. says

Hi Ki’une,

Ever thought about using the outsourcing method in Tim Ferriss’s book to direct traffic to your site.? You could get 1-2 marketing assistants that will be in charge of writing on blogs, writing articles, maybe turning your video into an online banner, direct/indirect marketing strategies, as well as signing you up for presentations etc.

14. Soul says

Hi mate,

Soul from London here. I’ve watched this video so many times now. As a capoeira player and 4HWWer and wannabe adventurer this video has inspired me many times over. It’s also pushed me to keep up with my popping and locking and take those adventure trips!
    Thanks dude, have shared this with so many people. Keep up the good work!

15. says

Great Video! I’ve shared it with everyone that I can. Truely makes me rethink life and how to live it. Hope to someday bump into you in my travles. Keep up the great work!

16. says

Amazing video! I’ve shared it with everyone that is willing to watch it. It’s made me rethink life and how to live it. Hope to bump into you someday in my travels. Take care and keep up the great work!

17. says

An amazing video! So inspirational. Thank you.

It’s going on my blog tomorrow for ‘Video of the Day’. I have emailed it to friends and family.

Thanks again!

18. Nick S says

Hey man, I’m sure you get a lot of emails and whatnot about how amazing your videos and articles are, but I feel obligated to add one more. Your 10 year tribute to the sunscreen song really touched my life, and it’s helped me in so many ways. I’ve been inspired to live better, live with more meaning and purpose, and to live with no regrets. It also helps me whenever I’m feeling down, because honestly I don’t know how someone could watch this and not be cheered up and filled with hope and determination to make their life incredible. I’m just finishing high school, and I don’t think i could’ve picked a better time to discover your video. I’m going into the prime of my life, and I’m gonna make it count. Thank you sincerely for your inspiration and advice.

P.S.
    I’ve also been inspired to wear more sunscreen =)

• ki'une says

Nick,

That’s really encouraging for me to hear! I’ve got more vids and posts on the way. It’s really important to share what I’ve learned.

Ki’une

19. Philippe says

Thank you for the video ! It really made me smile the whole time.
    I have just discovered your blog( thks to tim’s blog).Now i am wondering (probably because it would be amazing but it is very unlikely, yet i want to believe it) : Have you not met a french blond girl on your way up to the top of machu pichu ?
    I saw you ve been there on the vid and so did I.

I was with that blond girl(im french) and she told me that on her way up, she met a crazy asian guy who was ‘discovering the world and didn t really speak spanish very well’…
    Makes me think about you !
    (i was waiting for her at the top as i had climbed earlier to see the sunrise)
    Anyway, your blog rocks, congrats !

• ki'une says

I did meet a French blonde girl, but it was in northern Peru where I was surfing! Funny enough, I did meet another blonde girl at Machu Picchu, but she was from Germany.

20. Jaew says

Last 2 months my boyfriend wonder around you tube and he found some VDO which he said it was so inspired,I’m not a you tube fan but I watched it anyways.
    Then WOW WOW WOW. I love your vdo sooooo much, I almost cried out because it touched me in very monent, then I found myself watched your vdo everyday one week after.
    I have been thinking about life a lot and don’t know what to do,scare to try and blame social or world some how because I thought it was not fair for me. Your Vdo have change my thought, this world is so beautiful and amazing with all different kind of people and places.
    Thank you so much to put this up for us. It meant and spired me alot.More than that it lead me to your blogs and so happy to see Thailand is one of you destination. I’m Thai anyways.
    So if you have a chance to come by Chiangmai ,Thailand some how let’s me and my boyfriend know we would love to see you.
    Well, Thank you so much for your amazing vdo(I forward your vdo to my 10 friends already.)

Khop Kun Ka (Thank you.)
    Jaew.
    P.s. sorry about my english ,just imagine that I have a huge dictionary and google translate next to me.

21. Quinn says

This is a beautiful work of art. It is inspirational even when one is at one’s worst. Thank you for this moving creation. It has made a deep impact on me. I cannot stop watching.

22. Tara says

Ki’une,
    thank you for putting yourself out there……to inspire us that don’t quite know how yet. I admire your courage, and creative spunk. get it.
    t

• ki'une says

Thanks for reading. I really believe in inspiring through example – it seems videos are pretty convincing! Though I will be the first to readily admit that my life is far from perfection, I do want to communicate to readers/viewers out there the real-life changes I am experiencing from pushing my boundaries every day.

23. says

We just got back from a sucessful rock climbling trip in south of Thailand.
    Krabi- Rairey beach is a great place for rock climblng but hightly reckon is in Trang -Laoliang island. It is a small, but nice quiet place with friendly staff , good food and good rock. Only real rock climber dude that you will meet on that place.
    My boyfriend know the guy whoes run that place.Let’s me know if you want more detail.
    Have fun.
    JAew

24. says

Great work. I show this to my boys 6 & 10 and my wife. We just did a 7 wk trip to Australia we’re from Washington State. Based on Ferriss’s books. I really enjoy your energy…very inspiring. I watch your video when I am down and it picks me up. Never stop Livin the DREAM ;-)

25. says

This tribute is utter brilliance. It speaks your passion for being original. It clearly and expressively shows that you are living life on your own terms. It tells the listener/viewer that you have set yourself free from all bad things that average Joe is burdened under everyday. It is very hard to live a lifestyle that defines your inner-self. I am trying to do this from years, I have made some progress and have not reached my goal yet. I wish you success in life.

• ki'une says

Arnuld, thanks so much for your motivating words. Although I can’t say I’m totally free, and that I am an average Joe, I more and more realize how short this life I have is, and want to live it in a way that has the most impact. Cheers to your journey!

Ki’une

26. Ich_bin says

That was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard. It’s broken my brains for long time: I repeat it again and again.

Trackbacks